My research deals with emotion regulation, or the question how people can get a grip on their feelings. Most of this research takes place at the Amsterdam Emotion Regulation Lab, where I work together with a team of researchers. A major focus of our lab is on the role of bodily processes in emotion regulation, like touch, posture, or arm movements, as well as physiological aspects of emotion regulation. We are also interested in implicit emotion regulation, coping with existential concerns, and individual differences such as action versus state orientation and alexthymia. Because our Lab is part of a Clinical Psychology Program, we are trying to develop clinical applications of emotion regulation research.
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Motivation, Goal Setting
- Neuroscience, Psychophysiology
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Self and Identity
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Koole, S. L. (2009). The psychology of emotion regulation: An integrative review. Cognition and Emotion, 23, 4-41.
- Koole, S. L., & Lakens, D. (2012). Rewarding replications: A sure and simple way to improve psychological science. Perspectives on Psychological Science, 7, 608-614.
- Koole, S. L., Schlinkert, C., Maldei, T., & Baumann, N. (2019). Becoming who you are: An integrative review of self‐determination theory and personality systems interactions theory. Journal of Personality, 8, 15-36.
- Koole, S. L., Tjew A Sin, M., & Schneider, I. K. (2014). Embodied terror management: Interpersonal touch alleviates existential concerns among individuals with low self-esteem. Psychological Science, 25, 30-37.
- Koole, S. L., & Tschacher, W. (2016). Synchrony in psychotherapy: A review and an integrative framework for the therapeutic alliance. Frontiers in Psychology, 7, 862.
- Rothermund, K., & Koole, S. L. (2018). Three decades of Cognition & Emotion: A brief review of past highlights and future prospects. Cognition & Emotion, 32, 1-12.
- Veenstra, L., Bushman, B. J., & Koole, S. L. (2018). The facts on the furious: a brief review of the psychology of trait anger. Current Opinion in Psychology, 19, 98-103.
Sander L. Koole
Faculty of Behavior and Movement Sciences
VU University Amsterdam
Van der Boechorststraat 7
1081 BT Amsterdam